The American Academy of Pediatrics is an organization of 64,000 pediatricians dedicated to the health, safety and well-being of infants, children, adolescents and young adults. The OKAAP is the Oklahoma Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics, comprised of over 400 pediatricians around the state of Oklahoma.
- Advocates for local public health issues such as immunizations, child abuse prevention, childhood obesity, oral health, smoking cessation, and more for you and your patients.
- Supports state agencies for regulatory, socio-economic, and public health policy issues.
- Builds coalitions with other organizations working toward improving the health and well-being of Oklahoma’s children.
- Works to improve issues that affect the quality of care and the profession of pediatrics.
- Increases your knowledge of and participation in legislative and advocacy activities at a local level.
- Promotes the interests of Oklahoma pediatricians in the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Provides opportunities to participate on Chapter committees driven by high quality patient deliverables and member interests, which include Obesity, Oral Health, Pediatric Council & Practice Management, Young Physicians, Practice Research in Office Settings (PROS), Legislation, Child Abuse and Smoking Cessation.
- Provides opportunities to serve on National AAP Committees and Sections to represent the profession of pediatrics.
- Networks with other healthcare providers with similar interests that include Fluoride Varnishing Training in the Pediatric setting, Medication Administration Training involving physicians, nurse practitioners and nurses to further train child care providers, child care agencies and programs.
- Works on issues pertaining to tobacco control, access to health care for children, child abuse, childhood obesity and medical education.
- Provides opportunities to improve Chapter membership and participation on the State and National level.
- Provides access to the Chapter Web site for valuable information and resources, including a job posting service.
- Provides the monthly eNewsletter as a resource of the latest health care trends and topics.
- Provides important, informative and educational communications.
- Provides Continuing Medical Education opportunities co-sponsored by the Chapter.
- Co-sponsors the Annual Oklahoma CME Conference with OU College of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics.
- Provides free Chapter participation for all 3rd and 4th year Oklahoma enrolled pediatric residents.
What has your Chapter done lately?
- Developed a pediatric obesity toolkit to assist primary care providers in Oklahoma in their assessment of pediatric overweight, obesity, and related co-morbidities, which was featured in the Journal of the OSMA.
- Improved Oklahoma Medicaid for women and children.
- Co-sponsored legislation that is important to pediatricians in partnership with the Oklahoma State Medical Association.
- Participated in the Schools for Excellence program through the Oklahoma County Medical Society.
- Developed and committed resources to comprehensive Chapter Strategic Plan addressing Chapter priorities such as Child Health Initiatives; Member Development; Education and Communications; Legislative Advocacy; Infrastructure Upgrades and Administration, Structure and Governance.